Quite unexpected
Early this morning, we (Juniors), went to "Bahay Kanlungan" (we did this last year as well) as a part of our grade for Val. Ed. The place were pure of "oldies" ranging from 60 to 99. Yes, 60 to 99 and still very young at heart (Idol :-bd). It's aim was for us to gather information on at least 1 of the elders or so. But since we did it last year, I already had that ONE person in mind.
The minute we arrived at the place, we saw the elders outside in a line position (like last year), waiting for some of the students (us) to talk to them.
There are a number of elders we know and there are new faces as well. Seeing them again made me smile but, like I said, there is that person that I've been longing to see, and that person is "Lola Maria". At first, I tried to look for her in the so called "line" of elders, yet, she wasn't there. So we carried on with our work and I was still unable to find the answer.
Breakfast time came, we all had fun. We had the chance to feed some of the elders with Pansit. I was quite unlucky and yet lucky at the same time. I fed the oldest person in the place (the unique 99 year old woman). Lucky because it was an honor (haha :P) and unlucky because it was quite hard to feed her. Since it was their breakfast, beside me was one of the staff of the place. I asked her if Lola Maria was still around. She asked me... "Who?" I showed her a picture of her in a wall filled with their pictures beside me. I was quite surprised that she didn't know her until Lola Edith (the MC of the elders) heard our conversation. She told me that Lola Maria was already "six feet below the ground". The minute I heard those famous 5 words, my world turned up-side-down. I asked her why and she replied that it was her age that made her rest. It happened in her province with her 3 children when she visited them. After some days, the eldest came back and told them that her mother, Lola Maria, died. Hearing the story made me want to pour everything out. And that wasn't the reason why I was in such a bad mood (only NiƱo knew). Her death, occurred sometime before Christmas, which was weeks after our first visit to the Kanlungan.
I decided to not mingle with my batch mates because I didn't want them to know, but my facial expression gave a part of my information. I stayed with Lola Edith the whole presentation asking her about Lola Maria's death. A couple of my friends asked me if I was good, sarcastically, I answered yes.
Being with the person for 6 hours is something quite unforgetful. In Filipino terms.... napamahal. It was I who fed her last year, who wiped her mouth every time her saliva would drool and I was the one who was with her all through out the outreach. We had a couple of laughs together but those are just memories now. She was a kind, strong-willed, passionate, spiritual and a down-to-earth person. Her life is inspiring and that I would never forget. Wherever you are Lola Maria, rest in peace. You deserve it after all the challenges you've been through. Paalam po :| But hey, that's how life is. Sometimes you really have to move on no matter how painful it is for you to accept the truth.
Ang drama ba? Sorry.. kailangan ko lang talagang ilabas.
Comments